L Intra-Company Transfer Visa

The L-1 visa promotes international business by permitting the transfer of managers, executives, and specialized personnel into the U.S. by companies with operations abroad.

There are two types of L-visas: L-1A visas are available to executives and managers. This type permits a maximum initial period of stay of up to three years, and a total period of stay of up to seven years. L-1B visas are available for “specialized knowledge personnel”. This type permits a maximum initial period of stay of up to three years and a total period of stay of up to five years. If an employee is coming to the US to open a new office, the initial period of stay is one year. Furthermore, spouses and children under 21 of L-1 applicants may receive an L-2 visa.

The main requirements for the L-visa are:

1. The employee must have worked abroad in either a managerial, executive or “specialized knowledge” position;

2. The employee must be coming to work in the U.S. in one of these positions;

3. The foreign company must be a branch office, subsidiary, affiliate, parent or 50-50 joint venture with the US petitioner;

4. The employee must have worked abroad for that particular company for one continuous year within the three-year period immediately preceding the filing of the petition for the L-1 visa;

5. The employee must be qualified for the position; and

6. The company in the U.S. and the related company abroad must continue doing business in the U.S. and in one foreign country during the entire period of the transfer.

Legal Consultation

The office hours of the firm are between 9 AM and 6 PM Monday through Friday.

Please call one of our offices to set up an appointment for a legal consultation.

Office Location

Raleigh, NC
8801 Fast Park Drive Suite 313
Raleigh, NC 27617

Vienna, VA
8133 Leesburg Pike, Suite 801
Vienna, VA 22102

Online Payment

Pay online with any major credit card or checking account through PayPal's secure online payment system.

Question of the Month

My marriage based adjustment of status case has been pending for over two years, what can I do?

You may consider filing a writ of mandamus action in federal court. Read more on the Writ of Mandamus

Information about different Visas used for immigration:
H-1B Visas: temporary work visas for workers in specialty occupations.
K-1 visas: for a fiance' or fiancee'
K-3 visas: for a spouse of a U.S. citizen. Often referred to as the marriage visa.
E Visas: for investors conducting international business.
L Visas: for employee transfers

Serving people with immigration concerns throughout the United States, and in NC cities such as Raleigh, Durham, Charlotte, Greenville, Greensboro, Cary, Wilmington, Winston-Salem, Fayetteville, Morrisville, Cary, Rocky Mount, Goldsboro, Hillsborough, Chapel Hill, Sanford, Jacksonville, Asheville, Asheboro, Carrboro, Burlington, Wilson, New Bern, High Point, Morehead City, Elizabeth City, Roanoke Rapids, Henderson, Wake Forest, Smithfield, Concord, Gastonia.

Wake County, Durham County, Orange County, Mecklenburg, Forsythe County, Buncombe County, Guilford County, Cumberland County, Chatham County, Alamance County, Gaston, Johnston County, New Hanover County. Pitt County.

Need help with immigration? Contact us and let us help you become a US Citizen.
8801 Fast Park Drive, Suite 313 Raleigh, NC 27617 • Tel: 919/834.3535 • Fax: 919/334.7339
Copyright 2012 - Law Offices of Omar Baloch, PLLC | Disclaimer

scroll to top