B-2 Tourist Visa

The most popular visa is the B-2 Tourist Visa. More than three quarters of all foreigners enter on a tourist visa. B-2 Tourist Visa allows an foreign resident to visit the US temporarily as a tourist. The alien must have the intent to return to your home country after your visit is over. Usually, you are required to have a home abroad to which you intend to return. Anyone who wishes to travel to the US as a visitor is eligible to apply for a visitor’s visa at a US consulate. You must be physically present to apply there.
The B-2 Tourist may not engage in business-related activities at all. A condition of being admitted on a B-2 visa is that you are in fact a tourist. Tourists are given stays of six months. Theoretically, you may leave the US at the end of the six months, return the next day and be readmitted for another six months. Alternatively, when the six months are up, you can apply for an extension of stay without leaving,usually for another six months. However, when your travel history show
that you are spending most of your time in the US, INS will assume you have the intent to be more than just a temporary visitor. On this basis, you can be denied entry altogether, even though you do have a valid visa. Some people, thinking that they have found a loophole in the system, try to live in the US permanently on a visitor’s visa by merely taking brief trips outside the country every six months. Do not expect this tactic to work for very long.
Although you are not allowed to work on the tourist visa, you may “change status” to an employment visa (such as H-1B) or “adjust status” to an employment-based green card. However, the applicant must be cautious that he may be open to a charge of having committed fraud or material misrepresentation in getting their tourist visa. An allegation of fraud can severely impact your chances of winning permanent residence (i.e., green card).

Legal Consultation

The office hours of the firm are between 9 AM and 6 PM Monday through Friday.

Please call one of our offices to set up an appointment for a legal consultation.

Office Location

Raleigh, NC
8801 Fast Park Drive Suite 313
Raleigh, NC 27617

Vienna, VA
8133 Leesburg Pike, Suite 801
Vienna, VA 22102

Online Payment

Pay online with any major credit card or checking account through PayPal's secure online payment system.

Question of the Month

My marriage based adjustment of status case has been pending for over two years, what can I do?

You may consider filing a writ of mandamus action in federal court. Read more on the Writ of Mandamus

Information about different Visas used for immigration:
H-1B Visas: temporary work visas for workers in specialty occupations.
K-1 visas: for a fiance' or fiancee'
K-3 visas: for a spouse of a U.S. citizen. Often referred to as the marriage visa.
E Visas: for investors conducting international business.
L Visas: for employee transfers

Serving people with immigration concerns throughout the United States, and in NC cities such as Raleigh, Durham, Charlotte, Greenville, Greensboro, Cary, Wilmington, Winston-Salem, Fayetteville, Morrisville, Cary, Rocky Mount, Goldsboro, Hillsborough, Chapel Hill, Sanford, Jacksonville, Asheville, Asheboro, Carrboro, Burlington, Wilson, New Bern, High Point, Morehead City, Elizabeth City, Roanoke Rapids, Henderson, Wake Forest, Smithfield, Concord, Gastonia.

Wake County, Durham County, Orange County, Mecklenburg, Forsythe County, Buncombe County, Guilford County, Cumberland County, Chatham County, Alamance County, Gaston, Johnston County, New Hanover County. Pitt County.

Need help with immigration? Contact us and let us help you become a US Citizen.
8801 Fast Park Drive, Suite 313 Raleigh, NC 27617 • Tel: 919/834.3535 • Fax: 919/334.7339
Copyright 2012 - Law Offices of Omar Baloch, PLLC | Disclaimer

scroll to top